Intuitive Eating Resources
|Articles |||Interviews |||Research |||Support Groups |||Training|
When Elyse and I wrote the first edition of Intuitive Eating, it was published in 1995, and not a well-known concept. Today, there are Intuitive Eating support groups around the world and exciting research, which continues to validate the Intuitive Eating approach to living and eating.
We receive countless emails of gratitude from people around the globe, on how our process changed their lives. The truth is every one has inner body wisdom, we merely help you to re-discover it! It is truly a rewarding privilige to faciliate the transformational journey of Intuitive Eating--whether through our writing, audio, workshops or one-on-one coaching-- for both individuals and health professionals.
Intuitive Eating is an approach that teaches you how to create a healthy relationship with your food, mind, and body--where you ultimately become the expert of your own body. You learn how to distinguish between physical and emotional feelings, and gain a sense of body wisdom. It's also a process of making peace with food--so you no longer have constant "food worry" thoughts. You begin to realize that health and your worth as a person does not change because you ate a so-called "bad" or "fattening" food.
On the surface this may sound simplistic, but it is rather complex. For example one of the basic principles of Intuitive Eating is the ability to respond to inner body cues, “Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full”, which may sound like a no-brainer. But when you have a history of chronic dieting or rigid “healthy” rules about eating, it's quite difficult, because a number of things need to be in place, including the ability to trust yourself!
- Tribole, E. Intuitive Eating in the Treatment of Eating Disorders:The Journey of Attunement. Perspectives. Winter 2010:page 11-14.
- Tribole.E. Intuitive Eating: Can You Be Healthy and Eat Anything. Eating Disorders Recovery Today, Winter 2009.
- Tribole E and Resch E. Book excerpt, Intuitive Eating (Google Books).
- What is Intuitive Eating?
- Creating a Healthy Relationship with Intuitive Eating
- Does Food Rule Your World:Author Interview with Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD
- Why Diets Don't Work and How Intuitive Eating Differs from a Weight Loss Plan
- When it Comes to Food, Guilt can Consume Us. March 17, 2010.
- Following Your Heart and Eat Free. China Daily. Sept 19, 2009.
- Sadness of Saying "Enough" (to food), Academy for Eating Disorders Forum vol 17(Sept):2009.
- Orthorexia: When Eating Healthy Becomes an Unhealthy Obsession. Today's Dietitian.June 2009
- Craving Carbs: Is it Depression? Web MD May 2009
- Intuitive Eating. Delicious Living. June 2007.
- Health: Battle Of The Binge. Newsweek 2007.
- One Book Changed the Way She Eats Food. Nashua Telegraph. Jan 2007.
- Ball, Aimee Lee. "Losing weight: the mind game.(body wise)." O, The Oprah Magazine. 2006.
- Stop Dieting. Forget the Scale... US News & World Report. January 2006.
- Don't Nag, Don't Judge. USA Today.
- Mother-Daughter Weight Connection.Help Your Daughter Have a Healthy Attitude. Web MD.2006.
- How to Eat Healthfully All the Time: Techniques to Help You Become an Intuitive Eater.Web MD.
- American Idol:My Secret Struggle.People Magazine July 03,2006.
- Intuitive Eating a Hunger Based Food Plan. Rocky Mountain News. 2005.
- How'd I get so Fat? Health. AARP. Jan-Feb, 2005.
- McCarthy, Jenna. "The Hunger Within.(cravings)(Brief Article)." Allure. 2004.
- Diet riot is never quiet: adherents crave fights as they pass the pate. Variety. 2002.
- Lose Weight by Listening to Your Body Intuitive Eating...Business Week, May 8, 2000.
- 50 Ways to Leave Your Blubber-Indulge Your Craving...USA Today, 1996.
- Intuitive Eating Satisfies Body and Mind. USA Today, Apr 26, 1995.
Augustus-Horvath CL. A test and extension of an acceptance model of intuitive eating with younger and older women. Dissertation. Ohio State University, 2008.
Cole R & Horacek T. Applying PRECEDE-PROCEED to Develop an Intuitive Eating Nondieting Approach to Weight Management Pilot Program. J Nutrition Educ & Behavior.2009;41(Mar-Apr):120-126.
Cole R & Horacek T. Effectiveness of the “My Body Knows When” Intuitive Eating Non-Dieting Weight Management Pilot Program.J Am Dietetic Assoc 2007;107(August Suppl):A90.
Hawks, ST et al. The relationship between intuitive eating and health indicators among college women. Am. J. Health Educ. 2006;26:322-324.
Hawks, SR. Intuitive Eating and Healthy Weight Promotion. Am. J. Health Educ. 2006; May/June:130-137.
Hawks, SR. Intuitive eating and college women. Am. J. Health Educ.2005 ;
Hawks, SR. The Intuitive Eating Validation Scale: preliminary validation. Am. J. Health Educ. 2004;35:26-35.
Mathieu J. What Should You Know about Mindful and Intuitive Eating? J Am Dietetic Assoc 2009;109(Dec):1982-1987.
Mensinger, J. Intuitive eating: A novel health promotion strategy for obese women. Nov 2009.
Tylka T. & Wilcox J. Are Intuitive Eating and Eating Disorder Symptomatology Opposite Poles of the Same Construct? J Counseling Psychology 2006(Oct):474-485.
Weigenberg, MJ. Intuitive Eating Is Associated with Decreased Adiposity (2009, Abstract).
- Intuitive Eating Forum: Through Thick & Thin This is a community of Intuitive Eaters supporting one another. This forum has several sub-groups available to help support your Intuitive Eating journey, such as: Emotional Eating, Body Image, Success Stories and Community Events. Free.
- Intuitive Eating Mommies Connect with other moms who are tired of the dieting treadmill and get support for Intuitive Eating. Free.
- Intuitive Eating Support Group. Over 1200 members are in this Yahoo support group--their motto, "Never Diet Again". Free.
- Peaches and Cream. This international group has over 500 members from Australia, New Zealand, British Isles and USA.
- Intuitive Eating Certification for Professionals (fee)
- LinkedIn Intuitive Eating Professionals Group (free)
- Skills Training: Small Group Teleseminars and Workshops (fee)